Set in a fictitious conflict zone in the modern-day North Caucasus (in Russia) readers can expect hot Russian bodyguards, a feisty Aussie veterinarian who knows her way around a vacutainer, one portable shower, a cranky sheep, a Zhiguli car, and sex without procreative purpose.
2. How much time do you devote to writing each week, do you have a schedule that you follow?
I have a rather intense day job so only get to snatch a couple of hours in the early morning and late evening during weekdays. Weekends and holidays I like to lounge in bed writing on the laptop all day long, which is a wee bit anti-social. I have an exit strategy that involves less day job and more writing, but I’m a few years and several publications away from that transition.
3. Name three character traits that you think make an irresistible hero in a romance novel:
Ooooh, what a great question. I love the Alpha type: supremely self-assured, protective and domineering (all things I probably couldn’t tolerate in a real life partner!)
4. Complete this sentence: When I’m not writing, I’m…
wishing I was writing (or reading).
5. Do you write a detailed plot outline, or jump right into a story and see where it goes?
I write detailed plot outlines…and then discard them to write something completely different.
6. Describe yourself in three words:
Closet drama queen.
7. What is the best bit of advice you’ve received about writing?
To test the romance writing waters with short stories. I think I saw the advice during RWA’s 2011 Clayton’s Conference. Someone was doing a workshop on short story writing and pointed out the advantages of starting small while you’re still learning the craft, rather than trying to write a weighty tome.
8. What are you working on next?
A story for the Boys of Summer anthology by Pink Petal. I’ve still got my romance writer trainer wheels on, so the short format is my niche at the moment.
To WIN a copy of Dangerous Men, Dangerous Places, leave a comment answering the following question: What’s the English translation of what Slava has tattooed on his chest? (Hint: answer can be found on my blog, in picture form!)
Competition is open WORLDWIDE and the winner will be drawn and notified on Monday 7th May. Winner must respond within one week to claim the prize.