November 2-4, 2012 – Genre Con
GenreCon is a three-day convention for Australian fans and professionals working within the fields of romance, mystery, science fiction, crime, fantasy, horror, thrillers, and more.
GenreCon Member special: This offer is for RWA members only.
With thanks to ‘Diamonds Are Forever’ sponsor, GenreCon, we can offer RWA members a discount on registration to November’s GenreCon. To take advantage this great opportunity, click on the link for more details. You will need your member website login.
Keeping up Appearances
- Mary Hawkins is presenting a two hour workshop on “Getting the novel structure right” and will be also in the “Editing Room” at The Word Writers Getaway 12-14 October at The Sunshine Coast.FMI: http://www.thewordwriters.com/index.php?
- January 9, 2012 – 30 December, 2012 – Kim Wilkin’s Year of the Novel ~ Helene Young
A year long course to help guide you through the process of creating your novel in a year, developed by Dr. Kim Wilkins. Facilitated by Helene Young.
Helene Young is a contemporary suspense author. Her first two books, WINGS OF FEAR, and SHATTERED SKY, were released by Hachette Australia. Her third book, BURNING LIES, is due for release in July 2012 by Penguin Australia.
FMI + Bookings: http://awmonlinelearn.com.au/course/category.php?id=4
Classes are run from Margie Lawson’s website using on-line teaching software used by universities. Take a cyber tour before you start your class and introduce yourself.
Affordable forum-style writing classes
A double Golden Heart finalist in 2006, Julie Rowe has been writing for over ten years. Julie teaches a variety of workshops and is the moderator of the Announce Online Classes email loop, which promotes online classes for writers.
To subscribe to the Announce online Classes email loop, send an email to: Announceonlinewritingclassesemail@example.com
(Costings Code: M-member, MC-Member concession. NM-Non-members)
- October 12-14 – The Word Writers Getaway at The Sunshine Coast
Mary Hawkins is presenting a two hour workshop on “Getting the novel structure right” and will also be in the “Editing Room”
- October 12-14 – Mentoring The Muse – Bundaberg
Early bird fee applies for registrations prior to 31 August. Submissions close 14 September.
Published authors and long-time RWA members Sandy Curtis and Louise Cusack, along with memoir and short story expert Diane Esmond, offer a mentoring intensive and writing retreat in sub-tropical Bundaberg, coastal Queensland.
Mentoring the Muse gives committed writers the opportunity to spend three days away from all their usual distractions to immerse themselves in the writing process – creating, editing, discussing, airing problems with fellow writers, brainstorming – and beyond. At all times, your Muses will be there to offer advice, to make suggestions, and to put the writing process into perspective. They offer their broad-based industry knowledge to help writers move their works towards publication. Most of all, because they’ve been where you are now, they offer unqualified support to the Writer who would be an Author.
· Romance/Thriller/Crime – Sandy Curtis
· Sci Fi/Fantasy/Horror/Erotica – Louise Cusack
· Short prose forms, Memoirs/Autobiography – Diane Esmond
For more information, visit Mentoring the Muse, email novels[at]sandycurtis.com or see a glimpse of Muse 2010.
- October 4 – Publishers & Agents II ~ Beverley Cousins, Belinda Byrne, Pippa Masson
When: 6.00 pm—8.00 pm
Where: Queensland Writers Centre
Cost: $30 M, $27 MC, $50 NM, $45 C
FMI + Bookings: http://www.qwc.asn.au/courses-and-events/courses/industry-iq-seminars/publishers-and-agents-2/ OR (07) 3842 9922
- October 4 & 18, and 1, 15 & 29 November – Writing Popular Fiction: a Five Part Series of Fortnightly Workshops ~ Lucy Clark
When: 6.30 pm—8.30 pm
Where: South Australian Writers’ Centre
Cost: $180 M, $250 NM
- October 13 – Beginning to End: Writing Popular Fiction ~ Helene Young
Where: Queensland Writers Centre
Cost: $129.60 M, $99 MC, $144 NM, $89.10 C
FMI + Bookings: http://www.qwc.asn.au/courses-and-events/courses/weekend-workshops/workshops/popular-fiction-brisbane/ OR (07) 3842 9922
- October 13 & 20 – The joy of writing: a romantic retreat ~ Valerie Parv
Where: Daku Resort, Fiji
Cost: $1850 to $2280
FMI + Bookings: http://paradisecourses.com/romance-writing-workshop/ OR (02) 8094 1613 OR Sandra@pardisecourses.com
- October 27 – Turn up the Heat: Writing Sizzling Sex Scenes ~ Nicole Murphy
Where: New South Wales Writers’ Centre
Cost: $115 M, $100 MC, $165 NM
- November 3 – Writing Crime or Popular Fiction: one-day intensive ~ PD Martin
Where: Legacy House, 159 Macquarie St, Hobart
Cost: $77 M, $110 NM
FMI + Bookings: http://www.tasmanianwriters.org/calendar/writing-crime-or-popular-fiction-one-day-intensive-pd-martin OR firstname.lastname@example.org OR (03) 6224 0029