SURVIVOR: SUBMISSION ISLAND – exclusively to RIDING THE WAVES
Outwit, Outplay, Outlast
Are you ready for the adventure of a lifetime? Prepared to pit your skills against other participants in a battle for literary survival? Spear boars with your sharpened dialogue, bind your feet with brilliant prose, and trap wild fish with your interwoven plotlines?
By signing-up for Submission Island you’ll put your work directly in front of six industry professionals all wanting to hunt down an author with the guts and determination to make a go of it in our cut-throat industry!
Perfect your submission skills and join the challenge to be crowned the SURVIVOR: SUBMISSION ISLAND.
• Abby Zidle – editor for Simon & Schuster, USA
• Laura Bradford – literary agent with Bradford Literary Agency
• Nina Bruhns – editor with Entangled Publishing
• Margaret Marbury – editor with Harlequin HQN, Mira and Luna
• Joel Naoum – editor with Momentum (Pan Macmillan)
• Alex Adsett – literary agent
How It Works:
An independent reader will read anonymous manuscript pages aloud for the panel and conference delegates. During the reading, the panel will indicate where they would have stopped and, afterwards, explain why. The whole audience can benefit from understanding the submission’s strengths and weaknesses.
What happens on Submission Island doesn’t stay on Submission Island
Any requests made on Submission Island are real. The conference team will get back to you with the contact details of the editor/agent who requested your work. Any rejections made on Submission Island… shouldn’t stop you from submitting in the future, but hopefully you’ll learn from the panel’s feedback.
How To Enter:
Send your opening three pages to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 2nd of August.
- Put SURVIVOR SUBMISSION ISLAND in the email subject line.
- Send your opening three pages (double-spaced, 1 inch margins)
- Put your title in the header of each page but not your name.
- Save all documents as [Your Name Survivor Submission Island] in RTF format and attach to the email.
- In the body of the email, please include your name, full contact details (including mobile phone number) and the title of your manuscript.
Who Is Eligible:
Anyone registered (published or unpublished) to attend the core conference (Saturday & Sunday) may sign-up for SURVIVOR: SUBMISSION ISLAND. Your submission does not need to be from a completed manuscript (from a completed partial is fine). Please note, pages will be chosen randomly and not all entries may be chosen. As selection is random, we will not be contacting authors prior to the panel – you will need to attend the session to find out if you’re part of SURVIVOR SUBMISSION ISLAND!