Tripadvisor has a very thorough article on transport from the airport. See www.tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255100-s301/Melbourne:Australia:Arriving.And.Departing.html. This includes what is rather ominously called ‘an interesting and inexpensive way to get from the airport to the city’. But you do need a myki card for this (see the blog containing information on public transport for information about this travel card) and it is quite complicated.
Your travel options:
- SkyBus from airport to Southern Cross Station. Takes 20-30 mins & leaves every 10 mins. Mon-Fri. 06.00 – 22.30. Weekend 07.30-17.30. For timetables, further details and to book see www.skybus.com.au/?gclid=CIXq0veoi8QCFdclvQodfrsAAA . Adult one-way $18. Adult return $30. From the station you can transfer for free to another shuttle which can take you to the Park Hyatt and other hotels (check the website). They can’t always drop you off at the door.
- Star Bus from airport to hotel. www.starbus.net.au/ Ph. (03) 8378 8700 Adult one-way $18. Adult return $30. Best to book 24 hr before. Leave from Bus Zone L outside the airport entrance.
- VHA Airport Shuttlefrom airport to hotel. Prices seem to vary according to pickup times and dates but appear very reasonable, sometimes as low as $10. http://vhaairportshuttle.com.au/
If you are concerned about time and have a lot of luggage, check how long it will take you when you book and if there is a luggage fee.
- Taxis cost about $60 and the taxi rank is located on the ground floor outside Terminal 1 & between Terminals 2 & 3. Melbourne taxi drivers do not expect tips, but of course appreciate them! If it is late at night you may be asked to prepay, but if you are going to a hotel this is unlikely. Some taxi drivers will not know the address of the hotel, so have this handy. All take credit cards.
- Hire car. You can prebook. Try Southern Cross Taxis VHA (03) 9371 2666. All bookings must be secured with a credit card. Airport to Park Hyatt would cost $79 for a sedan and $101 for a people mover which takes up to 6 people.
- Airline freebie. If you are travelling business or first class check to see if your airline will give you a complimentary pick up & drop off.